Author Topic: New HDD  (Read 5386 times)

doctur

• Calf
New HDD
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »

Hi All,

My HDD in my LinkStation (LS-CH1.0TL) died and I replaced it with a 3TB HDD.

I have followed all the steps mentioned (EM Mode and all) but am facing a strange problem.

Everytime I switch on the LS it flashes blue for a while and then flashes RED 6 times...  I run the TFTP and the linkstation boots and it is ready for use.  I can now copy and read files normally.  Everytime I reboot I have to run TFTP.  I have tried installing/upgrading but have not been successful till now.  I have even tried formatting the HDD which took over 2 days but it also has not helped me...

Can anyone help?

MikProg

• Calf
Re: New HDD
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 06:08:39 AM »

You need to run tftp and updater twice to rebuild disk arrray. Search this forum.

Another stuff - you need to use 1.52 firmware to tftp.

doctur

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:48:58 AM »

Any idea where I can get 1.52 firmware?  Buffalo site has 1.60 and it is not working for me.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »

what MikProg said is not correct at all, once you use the TFTP application then you can install the latest firmware for your unit (1.60 in this case)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

doctur

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »

Hi Davo,  I have tried this.  On every reboot,  blue light flashes and then red light starts flashing 6 times.  If I run TFTP the LinkStation boots and runs fine (on the LAN IP).  My issue is that it can never boot on its own :(  I have tried a few firmwares (1.21, 1.37 and 1.6).  Can you help me?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »

have you enabled the debug options on the firmware and rebuilt the partition table.

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

doctur

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:11:18 PM »

Yes.  Just wanted to mention 1 more thing...With 1.60 firmware (after upgrade) it gets stuck in blue light flashing.  With the other firmwares it works fine as long as I TFTP boot every time.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:37:30 AM »

There might be an issue with using this unit in conjunction with a 3TB HDD ( due to the 4K sector sizes used on 3TB HDDs) have you by any chance been able to test it with a HDD of 2TB or less?

doctur

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 01:32:13 PM »

I had a 2TB before and it worked fine.  I bought a 3TB one after it died.  I think I need a custom TFTP and firmware?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »

Or use the HDD <= 2TB

doctur

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »

I do not know how to write a new img and cannot fund the expense of getting another HDD.  I see online that there are a few people who have got it working....Anyone can help???

doctur

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 02:48:26 AM »

Here is an example post that shows that this is possible and a few people have successfully done it:

Linkstation Live LS-CHL internal upgrade to 3TB

I have also made a video of how I need to boot the NAS everytime.  I have booted it this way atleast 50 times till now...

Boot Process for NAS (Youtube Video)

Any Buffalo experts can help me please?

warrickguy

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 11:02:02 AM »

What model 3TB drive do you have?  The Seagate ST3000DM001 drive that was used in the post you referenced seems to emulate 512 byte/sector drives.  " You don’t have worry about the transition to Advanced Format, 4K technology with Seagate SmartAlign™ technology. With SmartAlign™, 4K drives look and act just like legacy 512 byte sector hard drives which makes your adoption of Advanced Format – simple. "  That was from the ST3000DM001 page on newegg.  Just saying.  I have no idea whether the 4k sectors are your problem or not.

bastono

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 08:39:06 PM »

Just changed HDD on my LS-VL. I used NAS ready HDD, WD Caviar Red, 3TB. It works without any problem.

I will send you the link for firmware 1.52 later as I have it on my home computer.

doctur

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 01:45:17 AM »

Hi Bastono,

Can you please post the links?  I am still doing a teethered reboot :(

Thanks~