Author Topic: Replacement of Link Station Pro Duo with another  (Read 1490 times)

andyc3

• Calf
Replacement of Link Station Pro Duo with another
« on: August 14, 2012, 01:30:37 PM »

Disk2 on my current Link Station Pro Duo in a RAID1 mirror has died.  Before I replace the disk and resilver the mirror I would like to find out whether there is a way to "soft clone" the at-risk Link Station Pro Duo to another, new Link Station ProDuo so that all of my configuration settings (users, UIDs, groups, GIDs, backup jobs, passwords, etc) and all my data and share configs are transferred to the new device so that the new device look like the original (except, of course, for various parameters required to be unique). Once I have a cloned Link Station Pro up and running I will replace the disk and initiate resilvering on the original one.  Anyone have guidance/instructions on how to clone all the data and configuration info from one LS ProDuo to another one? Or let me know if this duplication work needs to be done manually. Thanks in advance, Andy Colb

andyc3

• Calf
Re: Replacement of Link Station Pro Duo with another
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »

Thanks, Brian, for the info. Sounds like my best strategy would be to set up the new LS-WVL by hand with a configuration equivalent to the old one, and then use the new one as a share-by-share backup target over the LAN.

thanks,

andy

csylvain

• Calf
Re: Replacement of Link Station Pro Duo with another
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 08:27:55 AM »

you'd have to build the RAID array on the new LS, mount the disks as an array on another system, then finally copy all the files from the old array from all three important partitions: boot, root and the data.  of course, to copy all the files off the old array, you'll need to use that other system, too.  so you'll need three SATA ports or perhaps an empty USB attached disk.

after all that, cross your fingers and switch on the new array.