Author Topic: Cannot access LS-VL 2TB NAS  (Read 14381 times)

steveianson

• Calf
Re: Cannot access LS-VL 2TB NAS
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 12:09:22 PM »

I have never managed to get my LS-VL boot using TFTP. I have had to install the firmware on my LS-CHL then swap the hard drive to my LS-VL.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »

Really?! Ive flashed mine multiple times, no problems, once the instructions are followed correctly and there is nothing physically wrong with the unit it will work.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

eyeball_kid

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 02:38:52 AM »

Guys

Again - Thank you for the replies - It is appreciated!

Im going to try it on two different PCs this weekend and will report back ..

@davo can I please check my steps one more time - You mention "If so just press the fucntion button and wait 2 minutes for the blocks to be passed, failing that, use a different PC."

These are my steps

1) After turning off AV, firewall, wireless and configuring TCPIP to the static address and its all plugged in, I start TFTP

2) Then switch on the unit

3) When if flashes red 6 times, I press the function button for a second

Thats right - right?

@steveianson - based on the fact you use another unit to initialise the drive, it does imply its a generic install (rather than to a  specific unit) - If all else fails I presume if I got hold of a disk (empty with just firmware) image I could redo the disk outside of the unit?

If so, can anyone help me obtain a disk image (or the partition information, with partition backups)

Again, thanks ... boy Im praying the two PCs work!!

eyeball_kid

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »

Okay its all working again .. Thanks everyone for your kind assistance - This is what I had to do maybe someone will benefit from this?

Firstly davo, you were right my Win7 machine worked straight off (see below for one condition) but my win xp netbook was having none of it!

You need

1) tftp file for ls-vl (thanks davo for supplying this)

2) latest firmware update (i used 1.6) has lsupdater and a whole bunch of files in the archive

This is what i had to do

0.5) removed hdd from nas, connected to pc and deleted all partitions, resassemble

1) Direct cable connect between pc and nas (normal not crossover cable) - On Win7 machine disabled AV, firewall, wireless and set my TCPIP to 192.168.11.1 (router connection never worked, i think tftp packets were blocked)

2) switched on nas to where the 6 red lights where flashing

3) started up tftp

4) hit the function button (lights start flashing blue)

5) blocks were then sent (wait for solid blue light)

6) without switching off the nas i disconnect the network cable and plugged it in my router - did the same to pc, and set it again to dhcp - now both pc and nas were connected to router and on same subnet.

7) editted lsupdater.ini so that (NoFormatting = 0) othewise it will never format the drive

8) added section in lsupdater right at the bottom (to enable debug mode)

[SpecialFlags]
Debug=1

9) started lsupdater

10) very top left corner menu, chose debug (step 8 is needed to see this menu item)

11) ticked all boxes except "Execute change as following" (given you are using dhcp)

12) hit update (selected yes when promopted for formatting)

13) the nas then reboots, and lsupdater waits for it

14) the nas then reboots flashing 6 reds again .. dont worry normal

15) without switching anything off, direct connect pc to nas, remember to set ip to 192.168.11.1

16) start tftp

17) hit function button (lights flash blue)

18) blocks are sent, lights will flash amber see below

18.5) reconnect to router, change ip to dhcp

19) firmware update starts flashing (2 long amber followed by 5 short amber)

20) wait

21) wait

22) nas reboots - all ok .. yay..

Remember to turn av and firewall back on.

have a serious BIG beer... smile ... all done

djdave

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 12:03:21 AM »

Hi - I'm having similar problems with my LS-VL and I can't find the correct tftp file.  I've found a working buffalo FTP server, but the file for the LS-VL doesn't seem to be on there.  Can anybody point me in the direction of it?

Thanks,

David

bonehead

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 11:50:25 PM »
I also have the same problem, but I have LS-VL 3TB can somebody help me?

sirnah

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 09:47:54 AM »

I was hoping someone could give me some guidence on how to recovery my LS-V2.0TL as well . I was doing the most recent Firmware update and my PC had in issue. The update was interupted and now the NAS is stuck, I cannot update it now because it gives me an error saying " no partition found- update aborted ". I can see it in the NAS Navagator and it shows there in EM mode, however the LED light on the unti itself is not red. It is showing steady blue. I was reading about the TFTP process but there does not seem to be a version for this unit. ( Davos had one that he posted earlier in this thread, but that is no longer a valid link. Can that perhaps be posted somewhere? ) I am not that versed on how to continue with this so any detailed help would be greatly apprecitated. I am running Win Vista on the machine the Unit is connected too. I also have a Win 7 64 machine I could try, however on that system I cannot see the unit at all. The info on the NAS has been backed up so there is no problem if there is data loss for the recovery process. I just really would like to get it running again. It worked well for my needs and now it is unusable. I was not able to get the Updater into debug mode when I tried that either. Thanks in advance for any help provided ..

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 11:40:20 AM »

sirnah wrote:

I was hoping someone could give me some guidence on how to recovery my LS-V2.0TL as well . I was doing the most recent Firmware update and my PC had in issue. The update was interupted and now the NAS is stuck, I cannot update it now because it gives me an error saying " no partition found- update aborted ". I can see it in the NAS Navagator and it shows there in EM mode, however the LED light on the unti itself is not red. It is showing steady blue. I was reading about the TFTP process but there does not seem to be a version for this unit. ( Davos had one that he posted earlier in this thread, but that is no longer a valid link. Can that perhaps be posted somewhere? ) I am not that versed on how to continue with this so any detailed help would be greatly apprecitated. I am running Win Vista on the machine the Unit is connected too. I also have a Win 7 64 machine I could try, however on that system I cannot see the unit at all. The info on the NAS has been backed up so there is no problem if there is data loss for the recovery process. I just really would like to get it running again. It worked well for my needs and now it is unusable. I was not able to get the Updater into debug mode when I tried that either. Thanks in advance for any help provided ..

reinstall the firmware in its debug state (FAQ 2 of 5) and select all the debug options, the data on the unit will need to be erased to get it into an operation state again.

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

sirnah

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 11:31:10 AM »

Still no go on that update on Linkstation. I followed the intructions on the update and did find the debug settings. I selected all the options and started the update. I still got the " no partition found- update aborted " error.    What are my options now?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »

Post a screen shot of the LSUpdater.ini file and the debug options you have selected.

bonehead

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
Hi, do you have a solution? Im with the same problem, do you know what to do?

sirnah

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »

Here are the screens you asked for Davo. Thanks for taking a look. This first is my NAS NAV . It shows I am in EM mode but the light on my NAS is solid blue. The workgroup is showing UNKNOWN

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82500497@N08/8387329480/

Then I get into the Updater and it shows me this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82500497@N08/8386244215/ 

My Debug settings...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82500497@N08/8387329476/ 

And when I run the updater .. I get this..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82500497@N08/8387329488/ 

I hope that helps.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »

actually it was the LSUpdate.ini file (not the exe file) make sure you have the following lines set:

VersionCheck = 0 (modify this line from 1 to 0)

NoFormatting = 0 (modify this line from 1 to 0)      

[SpecialFlags] (add this line)
Debug = 1       (add this line)

sirnah

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »

yes I have those lines set in the .ini file and still stops the update.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 11:29:36 AM »

The only reason you would get that error message is

1. The HDD itself is faulty.

2. The .ini file is not set correctly, ensure you have the noformatting link set to 0 not 1