Author Topic: Cannot access LS-VL 2TB NAS  (Read 14380 times)

eyeball_kid

• Calf
Cannot access LS-VL 2TB NAS
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:14:43 AM »

Hi, I have a LS-VL LinkStation Pro 2TB NAS and I'm unable to access it at all.  When the device powers up the front LED flashes blue and continues to flash (even if the unot is left for several hours).  Any attempt to reset the unit following instructions given on this forum (i.e. hold function button down, power up and continue to hold etc.) have also failed and result in both the front LED and the Function light to flash and do nothing else.

When the NAS Navigator is fired up it fails to locate the NAS anywhere on the network and you do not seem able to connect to it through entering an IP in a browser, indeed, it would seem that it's not even getting an IP.

I originally formatted the drive for use with OSX but ultimately would like to reformat the drive and return it to factory standard.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do next?

Many Thanks!

sethz

• El Toro
Re: Cannot access LS-VL 2TB NAS
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:07:48 AM »

These units are Network Storage devices with an operating system loaded on it. They are not meant to be formatted, since it's got a firmware loaded on it. If you removed the drive and formatted it with a computer, that effectively erased any operating system that was on it.

Does the Navigator give you a valid firmware version?

eyeball_kid

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:30:32 AM »

Hi sethz,

Sorry, incorrect choice of words by me there.  When I got the NAS I could connect through the Network Navigator ok and partioned the drive for OSX using my Mac running Snow Leopard.  I haven't formatted the drive at all.

I then upgraded my Mac to run Lion and my Mac refused to see the NAS.  from then on, be it on a Windows PC or a Mac I've experienced the symptoms described in my first post.

Hope that helps!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »

eyeball_kid wrote:

Hi sethz,

Sorry, incorrect choice of words by me there.  When I got the NAS I could connect through the Network Navigator ok and partioned the drive for OSX using my Mac running Snow Leopard.  I haven't formatted the drive at all.

This makes no sense, you cannot partition the HDD at all.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

eyeball_kid

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:37:09 AM »

OK, sorry guys, I'm working from memory here as I can't get to the GUI.  I've just checked the documentation and I created two shared folders and enabled them to support Apple (I can't remember whether I allowed Windows support to be honest).  I can 100% confirm that I haven't formatted or partitioned the drive.

sethz

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »

Both Windows and Apple support are enabled by default, so that shouldn't be a problem. The next step I would try is to plug in directly via ethernet and see if anything can be seen. If not, you may want to try the TFTP boot procedure http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-3-of-5-TFTP-boot-procedure/td-p/100319

eyeball_kid

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 08:26:35 AM »

Hi,

I have tried to perform a TFTP reboot but I've just noticed that in the FAQ on putting your NAS into EM in mentioned that the LS-VL model does not have a TFTP boot program yet :-

• LS-XHL, LS-WXL, LS-VL and LS- WVL : These units do not have any procedure to boot into EM mode. The unit will automatically boot into EM mode if it needs to. If the unit is not booting at all you need to follow the TFTP boot procedure for the LS-XHL and LS-WXL. At the moment the LS-VL and LS-WVL units do not have a TFTP boot program and a fix is being worked on.

There is an exe on the FTP site which looks like it could be correct (TFTP Boot Recovery-LS_Pro-1.11.exe) but it looks like it was created in 2008

Could someone confirm whether there is or isn't a TFTP exe for the LS-VL and if so which is the right exe to use?

Many Thanks!

eyeball_kid

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 03:24:37 AM »

Hi,

I was just wondering if someone could help me with the query above?

Thanks!

csylvain

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 05:34:14 AM »
the TFTP boot process loads a functional (even if old revision) firmware sufficient for loading a full firmware using LS Updater. flash flashing blue light means the unit is attempting to load firmware. if none is found on disk, then it must load firmware via TFTP.

csylvain

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 05:35:29 AM »
oops. _fast_ flashing blue light ...

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 06:25:10 AM »

You can use the following link for the TFTP for the LS-VL, the link will be good for 2 days:

http://buffalonas.com/davo/axs/u:ee15573f7541066f8a7077d24d52a144/TFTP%20Boot%20Recovery%20LS-VL.exe

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

eyeball_kid

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 07:36:04 AM »

Right Guys,

I am bleeding from hitting my head against the wall so many times.

Firstly, davo thank you very much for the link and taking the time to upload it, I am at least sure now that I have all the correct components!

Here is my setup

1) Windows XP netbook

2) I have diabled the wireless driver completely, and actually toggled it off in hardware as well

3) Uninstalled virus checker (Microsoft Security Essentials)

4) Disabled Firewall (MS Firewall and disabled the service)

Configured my TCP/IP  to 192.168.11.1, submask 255,255,255,0

I have tried two different connections

1) Direct cable from netbook to NAS (not crossover)

2) put a spare router in the middle (so nas to router to pc)

With the original 2TB disk in the unit, it switches on and flashes blue continuously

So my procedure was

1) once everything is plugged in and router is off start up tftp and ensure its listening

2) switch the router on.

but no connection every gets made (block written) it just stays at accepting requests..

So I decided to try a brand new disk

1) once everything is plugged in router is off, startup tftp and ensure its listening.

2) the router flashed 6 red blinks .. I understand this means it cannot find the kernel (which is to be expected)

3) I click the function key once, and it now starts flashing the blue LED

but no connection every gets made (block written) it just stays at accepting requests..

Any ideas gratefully accepted ...

Thanks

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 08:14:05 AM »

Can you post a screen shot of the TFTP screen since you have put in the new HDD?

eyeball_kid

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »

Hi davo,

I can't seem to see how to upload an image so here's what is on screen...

Preparing to write TFTP configuration settings.
TFTP Configuration setting have been written.
TFTP Server Multithreaded Verion 1.4 Windows Built 1.400

Starting TFTP...
alias / is mapped to C:\nas\LSVL\TFTP Boot Recovery LS-VL\TFTP Boot Recovery LS-VL\
listening On: 192.168.11.1:69
listening On: 127.0.0.1:69
permitted clients: all
server port range: all
max blksize: 65464
default blksize: 512
default interval: 3
overwrite existing files: No
thread pool size: 1

accepting requests..

and there it stays.

Looking at this from a different angle, if it proves impossible to get the TFTP cilent ot connect  to the drive, is it possible to get an image of a working disk (and therefore working firmware)  and use that to spark it into life?

Thanks!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 09:38:25 AM »

OK, everything looks OK on the TFTP screen, you do have your AV and firewall (including Windows one) disabled right? If so just press the fucntion button and wait 2 minutes for the blocks to be passed, failing that, use a different PC.