Author Topic: TeraStation Beep Sounds  (Read 9265 times)

ju_wien

• Calf
TeraStation Beep Sounds
« on: July 18, 2012, 02:07:13 PM »

I have a TeraStation Pro that is quite old already but worked perfectly until a few weeks ago. In June it was so hot that I turned off every computer and other device that was not absolutely necessary. Today I tried to turn the TeraStation on again but can't.

After pressing the power button it makes a normal booting sound. The power led first blinks and then is green permanently, the access (harddisk) leds blink.

After some minutes there is a red error light and a loud sound. The fan stops and the machine goes quiet but for the alarm sound. It is a repeating Beep beep beep beep .... The access lights are steady when the alarm goes off.

I checked the manual but it just talks about "Alert sound A" and "Alert sound B" without explaining what kind of sound it should be.

During boot the TS does not answer "ping".

Can you give me any advice about the meaning of the beep sound and what I could check or do to revive my TS?

The model no is TS-06TGL/R5

//ps: I forgot to mention hat the LCD display has not been working for quite a time, so I can't check the DIAG LCD codes.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: TeraStation Beep Sounds
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »

Can the has navigator software detect it when e alarm sounds?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

ju_wien

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 09:21:22 PM »
I have not tried yet, as I only have linux pcs at the moment. But I will get a windows laptop for testing. Thank you for the hint. Would you have a link for the navigator software?

ju_wien

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »

Update: I tried to switch it on again after some hours and now it booted without error and just with the "message" light on. I could reach the web-interface and it tells me that RAID group 1 is being checked. So I won't touch it now and just wait and then try to back up all the data before I reboot it again. (Most are backups anyway but there might be some unique data on it, too.) Still I would appreciate a link for the navigator software. I have tried in the support and download section but the search button does not yield anything when I search for my model TS-06TGL/R5. Do I have to use a different format? Or is my machine just too old?

//edit update: google found it here http://109.104.88.61/support/downloads/ Now, if google managed to find the key for the disk-drives that would be great ;) I have a dozen of small round keys but none seems to fit.

ju_wien

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:30:25 AM »
Now there is a new situation: The TeraStation synced the RAID5 for some hours (I watched via RDP to my desktop at home) and then the web-interface would not respond any more. After some more time the TS did not respond to ping any longer either. When I came home it beeped again. But now, the LCD is working! It says: WDT E5, System stopped. In my manual there is no explanation for "E5" (it jumps from E4 to E10), the only reference I found so far is in one thread in nas-central.org forum http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3909 Here in the buffalotech forum I found a reference to WDT, but not to E5: http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/Terastation-stopping-service-error/m-p/11793/highlight/true#M9937 The hdd-LEDs are all green, power and link/act are dark, message is amber, error is red. Can you confirm that it is save to just reboot the TS in this situation?

ju_wien

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 01:02:29 PM »
Talking to myself but not only, I hope :) Now that the display is working again, I can see the message, where I had only beeps yesterday. It says System Error E4, Can't load kernel. As far as I found out until now, most people just flash the firmware anew in this situation. I read the different procedures in the FAQ but I am not certain, which to chose, as my model is not mentioned. It is a TS-TGL/R5. (It was one of the earliest TeraStation Pro models, I bought it in April 2006) So, should I just boot the TS in EM, start the updater, wait till it finds the TS and then hit "Firmware update"? And one related question: The updater that is included with the latest firmware version has garbled letters (appparantly it was not made for English or any other language with Latin characters). So I can't read the buttons. Is it save to replace it with the updater from an earlier firmware-version? They have the same name/version nr Buffalo TS-TGL Update Ver.1.0.3.