Author Topic: What happens if my NAS unit dies and I am in RAID 5 ....  (Read 1777 times)

scottgundaroo

• Calf
What happens if my NAS unit dies and I am in RAID 5 ....
« on: July 18, 2012, 08:16:04 AM »
Hi Guys, I recently had my Link station (LS-QVL) die and replaced by a provider once they confirmed it was the unit the died and not the drives. I only had a couple of movies so the drives were wiped... Now I am nervous. I have configured my drive in Raid 5 (8 Terabyte). I just wanted to ask if I put all my family photos and videos on the NAS are they safe. I get that RAID 5 will give me redundancy and security if a drive dies ... but what if the NAS dies again ... what happens to my data? Is it recoverable? Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Scott

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: What happens if my NAS unit dies and I am in RAID 5 ....
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 09:07:14 AM »

scottgundaroo wrote:
 I just wanted to ask if I put all my family photos and videos on the NAS are they safe.

Unless you keep a backup, data is never safe.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

axe

• Tatanka
Re: What happens if my NAS unit dies and I am in RAID 5 ....
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »

@scottgundaroo

if your device dies, your data stored with RAID 5 will not be lost.  But to access it again, you need a device (Buffalo or any other) which has the SAME Raid-Controller (with some controllers even same controller revision and firmware) as your died device.  You can then mount your disks into this new device and access your data.

Have a look on RAID5 explanation on wikipedia.