Author Topic: What is the deal with the white, flat Ethernet cable?  (Read 2989 times)

BennyH

• Calf
What is the deal with the white, flat Ethernet cable?
« on: June 21, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »

So I've seen a few posts refer to this cable that comes with the device (flat, untwisted pair, white, unmarked, Ethernet cable) and I understand it's obviously an untwisted pair cable but that still begs the question: what it is and in what cases should we use it?  I successfully used it as a direct-connect cable to my PC to configure the device so I'm tempted to say it's just a crossover cable, plain and simple.  If that's the case then I shouldn't use it when I plug my storage device (TS-8VHL; TeraStation Pro 8) into a Gb network switch because it just won't work, right?  Also, I've always been taught early on that untwisted pair Ethernet cables are prone to crosstalk and shouldn't be used.  Is there some reason we'll see just as good or better performance using this untwisted pair cable instead of a twisted pair CAT6 or CAT5e cable?

Thanks!  And the more details the better please.

ypeels

• Calf
Re: What is the deal with the white, flat Ethernet cable?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »

Hmm, Buffalo tech support said Cat 5, not Cat 5e - see below (emphasis mine).  Props for replying within 24 hours, when most companies these days don't bother replying at all!

Original inquiry:

Model: WZR-300HP

What is the "Category" (Cat 5e, Cat 6, etc.) of the ethernet cable bundled with this router? I am unable to tell because the cable is unmarked.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Buffalo Tech Support <info@buffalotech.com> wrote:

All of our routers, by default, come packaged with Cat5 cables.

Thank you,

Cristen

Buffalo Technical Support <info@buffalotech.com>Visit The Buffalo Forums - http://forums.buffalotech.com/
Technical support is provided to customers in US and Canada.
Telephone Support: (866) 752-6210

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: What is the deal with the white, flat Ethernet cable?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 05:24:29 AM »

The OP is talking about the cable that comes with a Terastation, which is Cat5e, the cables that come with the routers are only cat5

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!