Author Topic: E14 error  (Read 5622 times)

mhayden

• Calf
E14 error
« on: June 15, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »

hello all,

my terastation is a few years old and i have never had problems with it until now.  three weeks ago HD1 failed, so i replaced it and the array rebuilt ok.  no obvious issues.

a week ago HD2 failed, so i replaced that too.  again it seemed to rebuild ok. users could access their data fine.

a couple days ago users complained they could not access.  examination of the display on the unit itself, as well as the emails the terastation sends to me show E14 Raid Array1 Can't Mount.

some findings:

all drives were reporting zero errors up to the event

E14 error spontaneouls showed up.  terastation is on a UPS.  no evidence of power loss or shutdown.

consoling in via the web interface still works fine, although features i should normally be able to click on are greyed out and not available. e.g. no buttons under Disk Check are available. 

A message on the Disk Management, Raid Setup page says "An error in a RAID Array has been detected.

Select restructuring disk and click `Restructuring RAID Array`." but those buttons are greyed out.

no light on the terastation shows "fail". all 4 red leds are dark.

an I14 error preceeds the E14 error during boot.

logs show an issue fsck'ing the XFS system on dev/md2:

#[miconapl.mcon_get_version] mcon_version=TS-HTGL/R5Ver1.0
Jun 15 09:08:16 CONSERVATORY kernelmon: cmd=micon_interrupts
Jun 15 09:08:27 CONSERVATORY last message repeated 14 times
Jun 15 09:08:33 CONSERVATORY FsckXFS: try to repair XFS....
Jun 15 09:08:33 CONSERVATORY FsckXFS: . giveup.
Jun 15 09:08:33 CONSERVATORY MountXFS: mount /dev/md2 fail.
Jun 15 09:08:36 CONSERVATORY kernelmon: cmd=micon_interrupts

replacing HD2 with a new one does not help. same error.

completely removing HD2 does not help.

the unit is a terastation TS-HTGL/R5, firmware 1.23.  yeah, pretty old...

any advice on where to go from here?

thanks

mike

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: E14 error
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 04:53:53 AM »
You would probably need to delete and then recreate the RAID. This would result in the data on the unit being erased.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mhayden

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 05:55:52 AM »

Surely something can be done?  What is the point in having a raid array if a spontaneous E14 error shows up and you lose everything?

Curiously, I am still getting reports from the TS that there are 0 errors on each drive - even though the array isn't mounted.

Would a data recovery outfit have a chance of recovering the data? this machine is the backup of important data.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:16:30 AM »

mhayden wrote:

Surely something can be done?  What is the point in having a raid array if a spontaneous E14 error shows up and you lose everything?

RAID will protect against a HDD failure, not a RAID failure as you have had in this instance.

Curiously, I am still getting reports from the TS that there are 0 errors on each drive - even though the array isn't mounted.

Thats because there is no problem with the HDDs, the issue is with the software RAID system.

Would a data recovery outfit have a chance of recovering the data? this machine is the backup of important data.

Yes, data can almost always be recovered, its just a matter of how much money you are willing to pay for it!

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

hasdrubal

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 03:36:43 AM »
I got an E14 because my disk was ful .... After cleaning it, the E14 and the blinking red light went off.