Author Topic: Password protect folder on LAN  (Read 5902 times)

attelwog

• Calf
Password protect folder on LAN
« on: January 25, 2009, 01:47:31 PM »

Buffalo LS W1.0TGL/R1-US

Firmware 3.08

OS WinXP main desktop computer

OS WinVista laptop wireless

I would like to password protect a folder (Data-3) in the shared folders on my local network.I do not access any folders thru the internet, only thru my local network (desktop and laptop).

I have added a local user and a password for that user.  I have gone to "shared folders" and enabled access restriction;  I also added my local user's name to be able "read/write" then apply new setting and logged off.  This will password protect my Data-3 folder when I view it from my laptop, but when I try to open this folder from my desktop computer, it ask for "user" and "password" and when I type in the name and password I created, it will not allow me to open the folder. It says I may not have permission to use this network resource.  It also states "multiple connections to a server or shared resource by same user, using more than one user name is not allowed.  Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resoruc and try again." Even after turning off the laptop, I still get this same message?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

attelwog

After leaving comuters and linkstation turned off all night, everything worked the next morning??

attelwog

Message Edited by attelwog on 01-25-2009 09:50 PM
Message Edited by attelwog on 01-26-2009 06:56 AM

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Password protect folder on LAN
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:49:11 AM »

attelwog,

In response to your problem I would recommend accessing the device via IP address.  This method holds true in 98SE/2000/XP/Vista:

1. Hold down the Windows Key (typically located between Ctrl and Alt) + R

2. In the run command line enter "\\[IP Address of NAS]" (minus quotations) and press enter

3. Your credentials should work at that point if not, repeat Steps 1 & 2, then proceed on to Step 4

4. Try entering the following in the User field of your credentials

[NAS Workgroup]\[Username on the NAS]

Enter your password as normal

As for the multiple users problem there is an issue where the credentials on one computer are stored until a restart.  This would be why when you shutdown everything and restart the computers those credentials are reset.  I hope you find this information useful.