Author Topic: Error while doing firmware update on linkstation  (Read 8088 times)

vvesp

• Calf
Error while doing firmware update on linkstation
« on: October 05, 2008, 03:05:28 PM »

Lost power while doing a firmware update on Linkstation.  Now I am recieving an error code of 6 blinks which is a "cannot recognize hard drive" error.  Please help, was not able to do any backups.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Error while doing firmware update on linkstation
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:55:50 PM »

Try to boot the unit into EM mode (by holding down the reset button) then follow the directions on the link below

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=277&query.id=8926#M277

vvesp

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 05:03:01 PM »

Thank you for your reply.

I am not able to see the linkstation on the network at all.  When I try to follow the instruction for the emergency mode boot, I don't know whether or not the device is in the emergency mode.  How do I know if the device is in the EM mode?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:33:39 AM »
it will boot up with several beeps, and flashing lights. 

vvesp

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »
   Ok, I press and hold in the INIT button on the back then press and release the POWER button on the front while continuing to hold in the INIT button.  The unit comes on and beeps about 5 multi-tone beeps.  After a few seconds the units ERROR led starts its blinking and starts an alarm beeper.  I can silence the alarm by pressing the power button.  What I am left with is the POWER led on steady, the LINK/ACT led blinks every 5 seconds, the error led blinks at the 6 blink cycle and the unit can not be seen on the network.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 09:48:30 AM »
I would call tech support at 866-752-6210 for an RMA, or if you are with in the return time from the retailer, would call them for an exchange.

vvesp

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 04:07:45 PM »
   An RMA would be fine, however, I do need to get the data off of the drive.  I was not able to do any backups before this failure.  Remember, all I did was turn the thing off to move it from one location to another.  When I tried to boot it back up is when it failed.  We're talking years worth of family photos, music, etc.  What can be done?  Your company will have a very upset and displeased consumer on its hands if we have to say bye bye to all that stuff.

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 05:37:36 PM »
There's a lot of ways to get the data off the drive, but you had said before that you lost power during a firmware update, is this what happened or was it just random? Because if it's random there may be a less extreme option to get the data back than what would need to be done otherwise.

vvesp

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »

The power loss was an actual power outage at my home that occured while doing the firmware update. 

The update was only neccessary because after rebooting the unit I couldn't see it on my home network. NAS Navigator reported a host name other than what I named it, an unknown Workgroup and dashes in the Firmware field.  I found on this forum a solution, employed it, and had the dumb luck of loosing power.

Thank you for continuing to assist, I sure hope we can get this thing going.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 03:18:59 PM »
An Advanced RMA is an option of data recovery.  The hard drive in the unit should be recoverable with a different linkstation case, unless the boot sector was corrupted. 

vvesp

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »
   Please explain the proccess of an Advanced RMA.

rocci

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 03:21:34 AM »

Hi there,

i had the same problem with an Linkstation Mini 2 x 500MB. After an update from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 with no error messages the station came up with 6 blinks. I called the support and they said, this must be an harddisk error. I use the station with mirroring, so it should boot or go into EM with one disk. But nothing was possible.

Because i used the LS for an important data backup i had to retrieve the data. RMA with preserving the data was not possible in germany. So i opened the LS as described in different wikis. Then i connected both drives to a vmware linux system. Both drives were ok, no hardware error! 

After mounting the filesystems i retrieved all my data. Now i think during this firmware update the boot partition of the LS was corrupted, same problem is described from other users in the web during firmware update from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 .

Now my question: Because i lost my warranty i need a hint to take the firmware files initrd.img, hdrootfs.img etc. and extract them tothe mounted partitions in a linux environment.

I think this should be possible. Because i saved all my data, i am able to init the hard disks or set them in an initial state with some tools. Buffalo Germany won't helpme, because i had to open the case. But i thin, a linkstationwith mirrored driveshas to be recoverable in some way without loosing all data.

Thanks for your help!

Regards, Roger

jano

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »

I have exactly the same problem but i diid nothing. it just happended over night. the linkstation mini logo is blinking in blue and red (?) for several hours, then a small red led starts to blink or only the green is on. setting it to "off" does not work. if i take the power of and start it while pressing the function button, then release that button, wait 5 sec and press 5 sec again, the red, blue, and the linkstation buttons flash - thats all... i have bought the 2HDD raid 1 version to have my data extra save but now....

any idea? the link in this topic seems to be dead.

thnaks for your help!

vvesp

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »

Jano,

This issue is a year and a half old for me so the details are a bit dim.

Basically, what had to happen was a new LS case was sent to me and I had to swap the the HDD from the old unit to the new.

It was not a straight forward operation as I remember having to have a tech support person help me re-initialize the new case once everything was put back together.

My suggestion to you would be that if your unit is still under the manufacturers warranty,  contact Buffalo directly.  If not under warranty I do not know what to tell you.

BTW,  the HDD inside the unit can be removed and mounted to a LINYX operating system so that the data may be recovered.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 10:49:04 PM »

Give our Tech Support line a call so we can work with you and figure this out.