Author Topic: **DEPRECATED FAQ (4 of 5): Manual sparsebundle creation for Time Machi...  (Read 3318 times)

brian_nathaniel

• Big Bull
This FAQ was written several years ago, and was stickied at that time. Most of this information is no longer relevant to any unit currently shipping and for the most part no longer works with current units, and is knowledge that isn't something support can walk people through. This has led to improperly set expectations in many cases.

I am not deleting this thread but I am locking it and unsticky-ing it.

*****THIS FAQ IS FOR UNITS UNIT RUNNING FIRMWARE 1.54 OR BELOW (ie LSQL and similar units).</p><p> </p><p>With the units running 1.54 and above this FAQ will not apply due to the fact that Time Machine will automatically replace the sparsebundle that you manally create using this FAQ. For units frunning 1.54 and above simply enable the service on the unit and choose your folder. This is all the configuration that is required on the unit. Time Machine will do the rest. *****</p><p> </p><p>Sparsebundle is basically a marker or blueprint for Time Machine.  It tells Time Machine where to setup, what computer to take data from, where to build it and finally how much space it has allocated.  Unfortunately, some of our users have run into the issue of not wanting their entire NAS to be a dedicated Time Machine storage device and I can understand as 1+ TB of nothing but Time Machine data can be frustrating when you want to use the NAS for so much more.</p><p> </p><p>For the full explanation, try this <a href="http://roncox.org/12" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">site</a>.</p><p> </p><p><strong>NOTE: When creating a sparsebundle via the Time Machine extension in the Web GUI you should <u>not</u> enter in ':' to separate the values for your ethernet MAC address (e.g. xx:yy:xx:yy:xx:yy).  Instead make sure it's just a complete string of letters and numbers matching what you find <em>and</em> all letters should be <u>lower case</u>.</strong></p><p> </p><p><strong>Further NOTE: Some versions of OSX may differ from others as we're finding.  Generally, if you manually create a sparsebundle and find that Time Machine isn't working you can try the opposite of the aforementioned.  Although, the tell-tale sign would be if you create a sparsebundle and find the file has substitutes slashes ( / ) where the colons ( : ) should be then you would have to not have the values of the MAC address separated.
</strong></p><p> </p><p>In this solution when creating a sparsebundle you'll need to specify a file size, so when entering in the information in your console (from Finder click on Go->Utilities->Terminal) you'll need to enter this:</p><p> </p><pre>hdiutil create -fs HFS+J -size [Size_in_GB]g -volname "Backup of [Your_Computer_Name]" [Your_Computer_Name]_[Your_ethernet_MAC_Address].sparsebundle</pre><p> </p><p>** FOR BACKUPS IN TERABYTES CHANGE "[Size_in_GB]g" ... TO "[Size_in_TB]t". **</p><p> </p><p>The following is the legend for variables in that command line DO NOT ENTER IT IN CONSOLE <strong>(the quotes are okay but your Terminal will disagree with the square brackets [ ] )</strong>:</p><p> </p><p><strong>[Size_in_GB]</strong> = Limit of sparsebundle created in GB</p><p> </p><p><strong>[Your_Computer_Name]</strong> = Found by clicking on the Gray Apple (dependent on your OS version) and going to "About This Mac"->More Info... (The computer name should be in the title bar)</p><p> </p><p><strong>[Your_ethernet_MAC_Address]</strong> = Found by going into System Preferences->Network->Ethernet controller->Advanced...->Ethernet (Make sure you use your LAN not your WLAN address and don't separate the pairs with ':' as this will lead to the creation not being successful)</p><p> </p><p>Then you should see:</p><p> </p><pre>created: /Users/[Your_User_Name]/[Your_Computer_Name]_[Your_ethernet_MAC_address].sparsebundle</pre><p>You may close terminal at this time.</p><p> </p><p>The sparsebundle will be created on your Desktop or User folder at which point you should <strong>copy it to the area on your NAS you wish to use for Time Machine</strong>.</p><p> </p><p>I certainly hope this helps, please understand this is a workaround from utilizing the web GUI for the NAS and the smallest typo can cause problems.  If this is the case delete the manually created sparsebundle and reattempt the creation once again.</p>
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:11:25 pm by Eastmarch »

rabika

• Calf

*****My views are my own and not that of Buffalo Technology!*****
My Stuff: TS-XL/R5, TS-HTGHL/R5, TS-QVHL/R6, TS5200D0402, WHR-HP-G300N x 2, WMBR-HP-GN, LS-CHL-V2, CS-WVL, WHR-G54S, HD-WLU2, WZR-HP-AG300H, HD-HTGL/R5, HD-HCU2 x 3, HD-PEU3 to name a few! :-P Always ensure you have a backup! And no... RAID IS NOT a backup!

lourencohen

• Calf
Oh, this is a great help. I am using the FIRMWARE 1.54 as I don't use the features with the new version. I have not updated the software yet to get the new firmware installed. The manual I received from the sites is based on the new Firmware and I was not able to find the same anywhere else. Thanks for sharing the same.

LOURENE