Author Topic: FAQ (3 of 5): TFTP boot procedure  (Read 289244 times)

olson.p

• Calf
Re: FAQ (3 of 5): TFTP boot procedure
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2015, 08:43:58 pm »
I seem to be having a similar problem as others on this thread with the LS-CHL. I am trying to boot using TFTP and the blue light never stops blinking after the blocks are served.

My model is LS-CH2.0TL. I originally tried many things to get it to work and eventually figured out the hard drive was shot (should have figured that out sooner). So I replaced the original hard drive (Seagate 2TB with a Toshiba 2TB, DT01ACA200) and have attempted to boot using the directions here. I am using Win7, safe mode, firewall off, correct IP, LS-CHL 1.06 software. I believe the hard drive is unformatted (at least unallocated, according to Windows Disk Management). The TFTP program seems to run fine (is anything supposed to display after the two files transfer?), but the light on the link station just keeps blinking and it is never recognized by NAS Navigator. After 20+ minutes, I turn it off and the light still never stops, so I eventually pull the power. After turning it back on, I still get the 6 red flashes. I have tried multiple times.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I too impatient? Should the new hard drive work? I was unable to find anything about replacing the hard drive, so I figured something the same size should work.

olson.p

• Calf
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2015, 02:55:23 pm »
After some more reading and struggling with this, I finally figured it out. I was using the wrong TFTP boot. For my model (LS-CH2.0TL) I needed the Kirkwood version, posted in reply #53 above:

"AND The BEST/MOSTNEEDED/WONDERFUL TFTP Boot for the Kirkwood powered variants of the LinkStation series:
TFTP Boot for Kirkwood Variants Compressed 7Zip SFX: http://goo.gl/Lbh2aL"

Once I used this, it worked fine. I didn't try this at first because I did not think mine was one of the applicable units and it was not listed by Net7 as such. But desperation led me to try, and it worked! I did also need to follow some of the directions at http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=22603 to get the firmware to load after the updater lost connection to the LS (IP address issues).

Hopefully this may help someone else out there trying to figure out a similar problem after replacing the hard drive in an LS-CHL.

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2015, 04:31:56 pm »
He states to check the firmware and if its using 1.65 or higher its kirkwood. The reason he states this is because there are 2 LS-CHL models, One that uses Kirkwood and one that isnt. That why he didnt list it since its not always a dead give away that yours is the v2 LS-CHL. Its really if your unit was using the white/blue User interface its not a kirkwood firmware unit. If it is using a Red/black and its a linkstation then its a kirkwood. So for everyone else dont assume yours is a kirkwood unit just because its a LS-CHL. Please check

I forgot to mention, for those not interested in looking it up or opening the unit to find out, the easiest way to find if your unit is a Kirkwood variant is to go to the BuffaloTech.com site, visit the download's section and see what the latest firmware release is for your unit by typing in your model number for your unit and hitting search, if the date is 7/12/2013 and the version of 1.65, then it SHOULD be one of the Kirkwood variants (since they all use the same firmware anyway, just different Product Identification numbers)
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

R4F-105

• Calf
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2015, 05:43:27 am »
Update: I have done the TCTP method several times now with the same result. when the TCTP program is running, 2 files are sent and the unit restarts. If I do not stop the TCTP program and it continue to send the same 2 files and wait for the system to restart. Is this at all indicative that the files are not being successfully sent over? Thank you again.

Hello to all!

I have similar trouble. I used all variants like different OS (Windows XP and Win 7), on all OS i disable AV soft an Firewall, and also used safe mode, different LAN cables, two different HDD with erased with MHDD surface. And try not erased too (with NTFS). Many times i checked NIC - 192.168.11.1/255.255.255.0.
But the unit continue reboot after loading two files from loader.
I can`t stop rebooting after loading. I use TFTP_KirkwoodVariants.exe. Model of my unit - LS-X2.OTL-AP (From label on case of unit). Manufactured - Aug 2013.

Before this i tried use TFTP Boot Recovery LS-XL 1.00.exe, but with this loader nothing happens. I wait abt 2 minutes. (With kirkwood i waited abt 20 sec.)

What i can still to do?

Please any advice.

tvguy

• Calf
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2015, 09:13:06 pm »
<p>I am having the same problem with an LS-WX1.0TL/R1.</p><p> </p><p>Now trying to perform a TFTP boot, after a routine Firmware update stalled and apparently bricked the box. I've been struggling with this for several weeks, now. First trying to simply update, then force a firmware upgrade and now, several weeks trying the TFTP Boot.  The NAS never comes out of the "Direct Copy in Use" indication (blue "Function" light flashing) or the "Disk Error (E06 - red "Info/Error" light flashing six times).  The PC never finds the NAS, no matter what I do.

I followed all of the instructions on this forum.  I have the proper TFTP Boot Image, along with the proper NAS Navigator client, the latest firmware - with the edits to the .ini file, to make it force the upgrade (which doesn't help because, well... because I can't load any firmware onto the NAS, since the NAS is not responsive), etc., etc.

I have both a) allowed the the LS-WXL to boot by itself, b) tried to forced it into another mode by holding down the FUNC/FUNCTION button for at least 6 seconds before powering the NAS on and while continuing to hold down the FUNC/FUNCTION button powering the NAS on, and c) also pressing the FUNC/FUNCTION button again, after the NAs has started and gone into "Disk error" mode again (6 flashes of the red "Info/Error" LED).</p><p> </p><p>The only diffrence I can see is, when I hold down the FUNC/FUNCTION button for at least 6 seconds before powering the NAS on and while continuing to hold down the FUNC/FUNCTION button powering the NAS on, it starts with the "Direct Copy in Use" indication (blue "Function" light flashing) and then spends a couple of seconds with the blue "Function" light and the blue "Power" lights flashing, alternately, before it eventually drops to "Disk Error (e-05 - red "Info/Error" light flashing six times), again.</p><p>
The unit will not pull any of the files from TFTP Boot Recovery and will not show up on the NAS Navigator, at all.  Nothing, even after letting it sit for hours.</p><p> </p><p>I am connected directly to a laptop PC running Win 7 32 bit, all firewall/anti-virus software (including Windows firewall and Windows Security Essentials monitoring) is completely disabled and the NIC is set to a static IP address of 192.168.11.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 - with all other NICs turned off.

I boot the LS-WXL - tried several ways: a) just to power it up itself and b) holding down the FUNC/FUNCTION button for several second during power on, per the instructions on this forum - it doesn't make a difference, results are the same - also, I've also tried c) pressing the FUNC/FUNCTION button again, after it has booted and gone into the E 06 Disk error mode and that - SOMETIMES - sends it to a flashing blue "Direct Copy in Use" indication (blue "Function"  light flashing) that is seen on first power-up, and sometimes sends it into the "Power Up/ Power Down" mode, with the blue Power LED flashing.

I  run the TFTP Boot.exe program and I get:

Preparing to write TFTP configuration settings.
TFTP Configuration settings have been written.
TFTP Server Multithreaded Version 1.4 Windows Built 1.400

Starting TFTP...
alias / is mapped to C:\Downloads\LS-WXL\TFTP Boot Recovery\
listening On: 192.168.11.23:69
listening On: 127.0.0.1:69
permitted clients: all
server port range: all
max blksize: 65464
defult blksize: 512
default interval: 3
overwrite existing files: No
thread pool size: 1

accepting requests..</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>
and then....

Nothing.

Even if I leave it running for hours. Nothing
</p>

After the firmware update I am having the same issues. One of my drives had bad blocks so I replaced it and then things went south. I managed to get all of my data off the drives but now the entire unit is dead. HELP!

tvguy

• Calf
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2015, 10:13:58 pm »
<p>my engineers think this may be a motherboard issue. My advice is to call our support team and arrange for an advanced replacement - that would allow you to swap the current HDDs into a different chassis - If it's the NVRAM chip on the motherboard, then the HDDs should power up fine in the replacement.  However, if it's the HDDs (doubtful, but possible), the issue will follow the drives.</p>

How can this be a motherboard issue when everyone is having the SAME ISSUE??? The new firmware update is the problem from my view.(years later) NOW WHAT DO I DO?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:17:43 pm by tvguy »

Tier2networks

• Calf
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2015, 01:48:58 pm »
Please help me!  I am desperate at this point.  I have TS-XE8.0TL/R5
I have bricked this thing by formatting the hard drives out of the unit.
Now I cant boot.  The tftp process seems easy enough but I can not find the firmware for booting this thing to save my life.
I need uImage-88f6281.buffalo
Buffalo tech support has been no help at all!  they just refer me here.
Every link I find on this site is DEAD!!!

Again, I am desperate.

Please and Thank you
-Bob

dan2525

• Calf
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2015, 08:58:22 pm »
HI all. My work got a terastation TS-XE4.0TL/R5 donated with no hdds in it. I put four 500gb hdds that were unpartitioned and unallocated in, and tried to turn it on. I had to do some weird holding, then stop holding, then press it again, type thing to get it to power on. It gives me the e06  tftp error, so i tried following the steps here. It works up until the part where you get the "blocks..." in the command line. I get the right message, but the NAS never restarts. I cant turn it off with the power button, so i tried just unplugging it and turning it on, but it just gives the same error. Please help. it wont boot into EM mode either

rkotsybar

• Calf
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2016, 04:30:34 pm »
I have another rack mount TS-RVH4 where I cannot locate the TFTP boot download. Tried with a couple other model numbers but it can never find the unit connected via Ethernet straight to a laptop. The unit powers on but gets stuck with boot failure (with very loud and annoying beeping) . Can anyone share the link to download one for the TS-RVH4? Or is this model too old to support TFTP net booting? Thanks.

Cee Jay

• Calf
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2017, 10:27:31 am »
Hi guys i know this thread is old but here goes,
i have an LS-WXL 2.0 i manage to do the whole TFTP process both blocks write fine and the LS updater finds it but im now stuck on installing the firmware:
"No response from LS-WXL-EM872. PLease check your network settings, The LS-WXL-EM872 and your computer should be on the same subnet. Temporarily disble any firewalls and try again."
I have tried this in safe mode and safe mode with networking, but still wont update, it shows up in the navigator software but just the device basic details.
im using the same subnet 255.255.0.0

Is there something ive missed?
Thank you in advance!!

manustrata

• Calf
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2018, 12:41:24 pm »
Hi All, I need a TFTP Boot Aimage for a LS-WV2.0TL/R1 Linkstation Pro Duo 2TB NAS(2 X 1TB). Please share. Thank you!