Author Topic: FAQ (3 of 5): TFTP boot procedure  (Read 31561 times)

JeffCunningham

• Calf
Re: FAQ (3 of 5): TFTP boot procedure
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »

I cannot see any files on either ftp://24.153.165.234/array1/share/nas-recovery/ or ftp://24.153.165.234/mnt/array1/share/nas-recovery/

Does anyone know another place to download a mac image of tftp for LS-V2.0TL?

BTW; does anyone know the location of this FAQ?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • Big Bull
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2013, 02:37:28 AM »
There is no mac TFTP image
My units: WZR-1750DHP (flashed with DDWRT), TS5200, TS-XL, LS-CHL, LS-WVL, CS-WVL, WZR-HP-AG300N, WHR-HP-G300N, WHR-G300N, WBMR-HP-GN, LS-CHL, HD-HTGL/R5, HD-HLAN, HD-QLU2, HD-PEU3, HD-HSU2, PC-P4LWAG
My opinions are my own and not that of Buffalo Technology.

Lboro_Tech

• Calf
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 03:32:38 AM »

I have posted a query that has had no responses, but is relevant here so here it is again:

I have a 2TB Terastation Pro that will not now startup correctly. The unit has been in service for 4 years and has always been reliable upto now. The issue started when I tried to add a new user via the web access pages. The unit allowed me to login but then as soon as I tried to access any of the settings pages it asked me to login again. This cycle continued and I could not change any settings. At this stage file sharing was still working.

I then decided to reboot the unit to see if this would sort out the issue. The unit starts up as far as the "System Now Rebooting........." message and then just hangs with only the Link/ACT LED flashing. I then decided to remove the HDDs one by one to see if there could be a fault with a hard disk. When 1, 3 or 4 are removed exaclty the same thing happens and it hangs in the same place. When disk 2 is removed I get "system error E04 cannot load kernel". Advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. The device is running firmware version 1.10

The unit also will not start in EM mode. Do I need to follow the TFTP boot procedure, because if I do I don't seem to be able to download the boot image. Neither the IE or Chrome links work, I just get a cannot connect to server error.

ROB

compwz

• Calf
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2013, 02:54:05 AM »

Tried FireFox, Chrome and IE connections and they don't work. Are they down? any other location that I can download from? Thank you!!!

ftp://24.153.165.234/array1/share/nas-recovery/ 

ftp://24.153.165.234/mnt/array1/share/nas-recovery/

Works now!

I don't see my NAS LS-QV8.0TL/R5 are there any plans for adding it?

Thank you

JeffCunningham

• Calf
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2013, 06:26:59 PM »

So I guess what your saying, tommy gun, is that Mac users are SOL, is that right?

Is there a linux script I can try?

mjp

• Calf
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2013, 04:40:29 AM »

The FTP is not working. Where Do I get TFTP BOOT image exe ? Alternative download site? I need it fot TS-HTGL/R5 device. Thanks in Advance.

free942

• Calf
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »

the download site for the TFTP arent working.

any other sites? or anyone know when they will be back up working.

i have a †LinkStation Live - LS-CHL - LS-CH1.0TL that i need to get back up

thanks

tizee

• Calf

Net7

• Hating Disclaimers, and loving it.
  • Calf
  • NeverEnoughBacon
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2013, 04:41:12 PM »
Since the change-over I have seen some good posts and links go missing, so here is a re-post of them:

NAS-Navigator 2.63 (latest as of 7/22/2013)
Direct link from Buffalo: http://goo.gl/YzFBm3
Compressed 7Zip SFX*: http://goo.gl/ltBCa0

*Windows "Smart" (HAHA) screen flags this 7Zip SFX as "unknown" or "potentially unsafe", I can assure you its not, but as this is a PUBLIC forum, all links and directions you follow that are NOT from a Buffalo "Employee" are AT YOUR OWN RISK!

AND The BEST/MOSTNEEDED/WONDERFUL TFTP Boot for the Kirkwood powered variants of the LinkStation series:
TFTP Boot for Kirkwood Variants Compressed 7Zip SFX: http://goo.gl/Lbh2aL

EDIT: I forgot to mention, for those not interested in looking it up or opening the unit to find out, the easiest way to find if your unit is a Kirkwood variant is to go to the BuffaloTech.com site, visit the download's section and see what the latest firmware release is for your unit by typing in your model number for your unit and hitting search, if the date is 7/12/2013 and the version of 1.65, then it SHOULD be one of the Kirkwood variants (since they all use the same firmware anyway, just different Product Identification numbers)!

I dont remember where I got the TFTP for the Kirkwood LS variants, but it has worked for me 100% (when not an unrecoverable HDD issue), ESPECIALLY when it comes to fixing the units with the 1.62 firmware... THE WORST FIRMWARE VERSION EVER!!! 1.62 likes to E06 when changing from RAID 0 to RAID 1, as well as E06 sometimes when updating from 1.62. and every time so far when I have had to help someone with doing the FORCED update!!! FROM 1.62!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:49:06 PM by Net7 »
Disclaimer: Buffalo doesn't write my check, consider me a Tech Enthusiast in love with NAS and Network Hardware. On the side I happen to enjoy helping others in need... sometimes... I do buy/referb/sell NAS units on "sites".
Disclaimer Disclaimer: I hate having to make Disclaimer's all the time.

DatNAS

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »
I have updated the URLs in page 1 to direct to the FAQs again and a new TFTP share. Thankfully this is only for the old stuff and it won't need to be updated in the future. The new firmware such as the TS3000, TS5000, and TS7000 have an option to create a Recovery USB for these purposes and a couple of the LinkStations, LSVL/E and LS421 both have the firmware built into the board and a firmware flash procedure documented.

cmiller

• Calf
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2013, 05:43:04 PM »
Hello everyone,

My LS-X3.0TL started blinking a blue led light 4 or 5 times per second endlessly. I have done some searching and figured out that the unit is either stuck on bootup or trying to update the firmware. I have let it run for days continuously with no change so I feel I can rule out the firmware update. After spending the morning on the phone with Buffalo tech support I have completed updating the LS-X3.0TL using the LS-XL TFTP files in the original post. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the same result, a continuous blinking blue led. Any idea on the next course of action? Other folks have had this problem as well and it recommended that we force the unit into EM mode by plugging in power and unplugging it at exactly 60 seconds and then to immediately replug the power cable and after 50 seconds the unit would go into EM mode. I have been trying to use this method for the past 2 days using a stopwatch to force the unit into EM mode so I can use LSUpdater to try and fix the problem. I understand this is a finicky process, but I have tried over a 100 times with no luck.

cmiller

• Calf
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2013, 07:25:36 PM »
Update: I have done the TCTP method several times now with the same result. when the TCTP program is running, 2 files are sent and the unit restarts. If I do not stop the TCTP program and it continue to send the same 2 files and wait for the system to restart. Is this at all indicative that the files are not being successfully sent over? Thank you again.

Net7

• Hating Disclaimers, and loving it.
  • Calf
  • NeverEnoughBacon
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2013, 11:31:25 PM »
AND The BEST/MOSTNEEDED/WONDERFUL TFTP Boot for the Kirkwood powered variants of the LinkStation series:
TFTP Boot for Kirkwood Variants Compressed 7Zip SFX: http://goo.gl/Lbh2aL

EDIT: I forgot to mention, for those not interested in looking it up or opening the unit to find out, the easiest way to find if your unit is a Kirkwood variant is to go to the BuffaloTech.com site, visit the download's section and see what the latest firmware release is for your unit by typing in your model number for your unit and hitting search, if the date is 7/12/2013 and the version of 1.65, then it SHOULD be one of the Kirkwood variants (since they all use the same firmware anyway, just different Product Identification numbers)!

Since no-one likes to read, and people seem to want to report my file as "suspect" or "bad", ill help a bit to have people understand. First off, the file is a 7Zip (Open Source file archive utility, google it!) SELF EXTRACTING ARCHIVE, that means you download it, and run it, and it extracts the TFTP Boot Image files to wherever you need/chose for them to be!

As for those who dont want to actually READ to figure out what model this is for, I will tell you: The file I linked above for the Kirkwood variants, will work for the following series of NAS device's (listed from basic to pro):

LS-XL Series (Basic Single Drive Units)
LS-X1.0TL
LS-X2.0TL
LS-X3.0TL

LS-WX Series (Basic Dual Drive Units)
LS-WX1.0TL/1D
LS-WX1.0TL/R1
LS-WX2.0TL/R1
LS-WX3.0TL/R1
LS-WX4.0TL/R1
LS-WX6.0TL/R1

LS-VL Series (Pro Single Drive Units)
LS-V1.0TL
LS-V2.0TL
LS-V3.0TL
LS-V4.0TL

LS-WVL Series (Pro Dual Drive Units)
LS-WV2.0TL/R1
LS-WV4.0TL/R1
LS-WV6.0TL/R1
LS-WVL/E

LS-QVL Series (Pro Quad Drive Units)
LS-QV2.0TL/R5
LS-QV4.0TL/R5
LS-QV8.0TL/R5
LS-QV12TL/R5

LS-WSXL Series (Basic Dual Drive Units using 2.5" Laptop HDD's*)
LS-WSX500L/R1
LS-WSX1.0TL/R1

*If you have one of these, I hate you... Just kidding, doesn't seem to be here in the US or if it was, it was only for a short time and I cant find them :*(

Thats the basic's folks, these model's are still for sale by Buffalo (well, except the last 2), and DO NOT have a PROPER TFTP Boot image from the first post! Recover or replace your HDD's AWAY (at your own risk of course).

As a side note, for anyone with the LS400 series, if you get an E07 (7 rapid blinking red lights), thats the new E06... sadly no TFTP for the LS400 series!

Disclaimer: Buffalo doesn't write my check, consider me a Tech Enthusiast in love with NAS and Network Hardware. On the side I happen to enjoy helping others in need... sometimes... I do buy/referb/sell NAS units on "sites".
Disclaimer Disclaimer: I hate having to make Disclaimer's all the time.

joma90

• Buffalo
  • Life would be easier if we only had da source code
    • Google it for Goodness sakes
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »
If you want to still do TFTP to a unit that doesn't have one then make one.

http://ukblog.im-mobility.com/recovering-buffalo-terastation-pro-e06-lost-boot-image-error

You can use this method for the units that don't have TFTP. :) not a 100% chance of working but its worth a try.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL, LS421DE, TS3400D, TS5400, TS-RVHL, WZR-1750DHP

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people who don't read the manuals and google crap.

no-man

• Calf
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2013, 01:50:51 PM »
http://techglen.com/2013/11/04/android-4-4-kitkat-official-aims-reach-1-billion-users/http://techglen.comhttp://techglen.com/2013/11/04/android-4-4-kitkat-official-aims-reach-1-billion-users/
http://techglen.com
Good news for Android users! The wait is finally over and Android 4.4 KitKat has been officially announced. This version of Android OS is introduced along with the new model of Nexus, Nexus 5. So what makes 4.4 KitKat so different? The major focus of this version of Android is to reach an extra 1 billion users by fitting on devices that have got a low RAM- as low as 512 MB. The previous versions of Android OS didnít support low memory devices making their upgrade almost a dream.