Author Topic: FAQ (3 of 5): TFTP boot procedure  (Read 299229 times)

digithead

• Calf
  • Just a dirty old biker and computer nerd...
    • Dave's Digital Devices
Re: FAQ (3 of 5): TFTP boot procedure
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 04:23:22 pm »

Oh... sorry. WIRED connection....

Remember, where ever you go, there you are.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 04:31:26 pm »

my engineers think this may be a motherboard issue. My advice is to call our support team and arrange for an advanced replacement - that would allow you to swap the current HDDs into a different chassis - If it's the NVRAM chip on the motherboard, then the HDDs should power up fine in the replacement.  However, if it's the HDDs (doubtful, but possible), the issue will follow the drives.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 04:34:52 pm »

I sent you a forum PM.

digithead

• Calf
  • Just a dirty old biker and computer nerd...
    • Dave's Digital Devices
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 05:41:08 pm »

Yes... got it... and replied. (so bummed about this... :-(       )

Remember, where ever you go, there you are.

nas_gecko

• Calf
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 05:53:25 pm »

Hi all

Have been stuck the same way on my ls-WXL.

Disk-failure(6 red blinks), and no contact to the NAS what so ever after performing TFTP or EM.

But finally I got something working :-)

For me, the cure was as follow:

1. I formatted one of the disks on my linuxbox, creating 1 bootable ext3 partion(set boot flag) on app. 1GB

2. Copied initrd.buffalo and uImage.buffalo from the TFTP rescuefolder to that partition and inserted only that disk into my NAS.

3. Booted up in EM(power off, hold function for 6 sec. power on while still holding function)

This actually caused the the NAS to boot up, and ls-updater to find my LS.

4. Checked "Rebuild partitiontable" under debug. This procedure needed the NAS to reboot, which caused another disk-failure(6 red blinks) and the update-procedure didn't get any further, but ....

The ls-updater had restored my partition-table to it's original state.

5. I then started my TFTP-server, and booted up in EM(hold function for 6 sec. etc.etc).

This time the NAS booted correctly into EM-mode after download and I did another ls-update, this time without rebuilding the partitiontable.

6. From here it was pretty basic, and my LS-WXL is now working again :-)

Hopes this may help some of you guys...

Good luck, all...

Mikka

• Calf
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 05:42:41 pm »

Hi,

I had the same problem - my link station was stucking in E06 error - and I tried your method and it worked fine until point 5:

5. I then started my TFTP-server, and booted up in EM(hold function for 6 sec. etc.etc).

This time the NAS booted correctly into EM-mode after download and I did another ls-update, this time without rebuilding the partitiontable.

What exactly do you mean with "started my TFTP-server"? Do you mean the "TFTPServerMT.exe" contained in the TFTP Boot Recovery package or the TFTP Boot.exe? Or the normal firmware updater?

I tried the TFTP Boot.exe (as explained in this thread), but also have the problem that nothing happens after "accepting requests..".

To those who could solve their problems with this TFTP boot: what was your machine saying about the network state when it was directly connected with the NAS and with static IP 192.168.11.1? My Machine is saying somehing like "Not identified network - no network access" (with a yellow attention sign). Is this correct? I'm not sure if the NAS is finding my PC at all.

Regards,

Mikka

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 03:57:02 am »

Mikka wrote:

Hi,

I had the same problem - my link station was stucking in E06 error - and I tried your method and it worked fine until point 5:

What exactly do you mean with "started my TFTP-server"? Do you mean the "TFTPServerMT.exe" contained in the TFTP Boot Recovery package or the TFTP Boot.exe? Or the normal firmware updater?

I tried the TFTP Boot.exe (as explained in this thread), but also have the problem that nothing happens after "accepting requests..".

To those who could solve their problems with this TFTP boot: what was your machine saying about the network state when it was directly connected with the NAS and with static IP 192.168.11.1? My Machine is saying somehing like "Not identified network - no network access" (with a yellow attention sign). Is this correct? I'm not sure if the NAS is finding my PC at all.

Regards,

Mikka

Post a screen shot of the TFTPboot.exe screen.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.

Mikka

• Calf
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 04:33:13 am »

Hi,

meanwhile I was asking the technical support who replied to me that the device itself is defect, but nevertheless: here is the screenshot.

Maybe someone can tell how to recognize from this screenshot that the device is broken and that it is useless to try the TFTP boot, so others do not waste their time and nerves trying it. :)

danielreyes74

• Calf
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 04:12:34 am »

Hello,

which file I have to use for the Linkstation Mini ( LS-WSX2.0) ?

Thanks

Daniel

akayar

• Calf
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 09:16:44 am »

I have recently bought the LS-WV2.0TL/R1-US model with 2TB dual drive. The device kept shutting down and started to give disk errors. I have tried the firmware update but failed. The devices gives 6xRed flash and will not appear on the NASnavigator application. 

Is there a TFTP boot image for my version or can I use an old version for this device

Please Help.

Thanks

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 12:05:21 pm »

akayar wrote:

I have recently bought the LS-WV2.0TL/R1-US model with 2TB dual drive. The device kept shutting down and started to give disk errors. I have tried the firmware update but failed. The devices gives 6xRed flash and will not appear on the NASnavigator application. 

Is there a TFTP boot image for my version or can I use an old version for this device

Please Help.

Thanks

Use the one for the LS-WVL.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.

akayar

• Calf
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2013, 12:56:26 pm »

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. 

I could not find  the LS-WVL TFTP image on this link: ftp://24.153.165.234/array1/share/nas-recovery/ is there another source for this ?

Thanks

Anubis

• Calf
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 12:02:52 am »

I recently got sent a LS-WVL by my IT dept. (Australia)

I set it up as per instruction, chucked a bunch of information on it, set up in RAID1 mode

Powered it down to relocate it. When turned back on, it demands a firmware update and tells me both my brand new drive have emergency bad sectore.

I can't update frimware, it just fails.

I can't get past accepting requests in TFTP

Anybody who has any auggestions i'm all ears.

alanhscout

• Calf
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2013, 10:14:11 am »

I found the perfect solution,

1. remove the drives,

2. hold the enclosure over the trash can

3. release.

4. Order a Synology enclosure

Nag777

• Calf
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2013, 12:38:50 pm »

Hi, Im having teh same problem with the 6 blinks red light on a LS-XHL station.

I had succed with making the station going in TFTP Boot, but in my PC after connect the station appears:

accepting reequests…
Client 192.168.11.150:3117 C:\Users\Alegria\Desktop\TFTP Boot Recovery\ $Kernel,
No Such File\No Access
Client 192.168.11.150:3117 C:\Users\Alegria\Desktop\TFTP Boot Recovery\ $initrd,
No Such File\No Access

I had tried in two PC both on windows 7, firewall disabled, no antivirus, wifi disabled, direct wired connected, and nothing.

I guess I had choose the wrong TFTP Boot file, Im using the TFTP Boot Recovery LS-XL1.00

Please can anyone confirm if this is the correct file or if there is something wrong I´m doing?

Thanks