Author Topic: FAQ (3 of 5): TFTP boot procedure  (Read 289540 times)

realborat

• Buffalo
Re: FAQ (3 of 5): TFTP boot procedure
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 01:45:42 am »

On a direct connection to the PC. Ls and PC has to be in the same IP range.

CasaDelGato

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 10:02:08 am »

I had already set the PC to the 192.168.11.1 address.

The PC is saying that there just is NOT a device connected to the other end of the ethernet cable.

sovtis

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 03:40:30 pm »

Hi!

I have the same problem. Upgrading LS-CHL-V2 FW 1.56 with new 2TB Seagate. TFTP boot seem to be OK, but stays blinking blue light and FW updater or Na Navi see no drive to update. IP is 192.168.11.1/255.255.255.0 

I have updated LS-CHL FW1.07 with also new 2 TB Seagate and to FW1.12 without problem following your instructions, but this V2 version does not work. If power down/up then LS returns to E6 red blinks.

This was used for both:

Linkstation Live version 2 (w/ Bittorrent): black casing, function button on front, model number of the form LS-CHxxxL or LS-CHx.xTL,      Download "TFTP Boot Recovery LS-CHL 1.06.exe"

Knife

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 07:29:40 am »

I am having the same problem with an LS-WX1.0TL/R1.

Now trying to perform a TFTP boot, after a routine Firmware update stalled and apparently bricked the box. I've been struggling with this for several weeks, now. First trying to simply update, then force a firmware upgrade and now, several weeks trying the TFTP Boot.  The NAS never comes out of the "Direct Copy in Use" indication (blue "Function" light flashing) or the "Disk Error (E06 - red "Info/Error" light flashing six times).  The PC never finds the NAS, no matter what I do.

I followed all of the instructions on this forum.  I have the proper TFTP Boot Image, along with the proper NAS Navigator client, the latest firmware - with the edits to the .ini file, to make it force the upgrade (which doesn't help because, well... because I can't load any firmware onto the NAS, since the NAS is not responsive), etc., etc.

I have both a) allowed the the LS-WXL to boot by itself, b) tried to forced it into another mode by holding down the FUNC/FUNCTION button for at least 6 seconds before powering the NAS on and while continuing to hold down the FUNC/FUNCTION button powering the NAS on, and c) also pressing the FUNC/FUNCTION button again, after the NAs has started and gone into "Disk error" mode again (6 flashes of the red "Info/Error" LED).

The only diffrence I can see is, when I hold down the FUNC/FUNCTION button for at least 6 seconds before powering the NAS on and while continuing to hold down the FUNC/FUNCTION button powering the NAS on, it starts with the "Direct Copy in Use" indication (blue "Function" light flashing) and then spends a couple of seconds with the blue "Function" light and the blue "Power" lights flashing, alternately, before it eventually drops to "Disk Error (e-05 - red "Info/Error" light flashing six times), again.

The unit will not pull any of the files from TFTP Boot Recovery and will not show up on the NAS Navigator, at all.  Nothing, even after letting it sit for hours.

I am connected directly to a laptop PC running Win 7 32 bit, all firewall/anti-virus software (including Windows firewall and Windows Security Essentials monitoring) is completely disabled and the NIC is set to a static IP address of 192.168.11.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 - with all other NICs turned off.

I boot the LS-WXL - tried several ways: a) just to power it up itself and b) holding down the FUNC/FUNCTION button for several second during power on, per the instructions on this forum - it doesn't make a difference, results are the same - also, I've also tried c) pressing the FUNC/FUNCTION button again, after it has booted and gone into the E 06 Disk error mode and that - SOMETIMES - sends it to a flashing blue "Direct Copy in Use" indication (blue "Function"  light flashing) that is seen on first power-up, and sometimes sends it into the "Power Up/ Power Down" mode, with the blue Power LED flashing.

I  run the TFTP Boot.exe program and I get:

Preparing to write TFTP configuration settings.
TFTP Configuration settings have been written.
TFTP Server Multithreaded Version 1.4 Windows Built 1.400

Starting TFTP...
alias / is mapped to C:\Downloads\LS-WXL\TFTP Boot Recovery\
listening On: 192.168.11.23:69
listening On: 127.0.0.1:69
permitted clients: all
server port range: all
max blksize: 65464
defult blksize: 512
default interval: 3
overwrite existing files: No
thread pool size: 1

accepting requests..

and then....

Nothing.

Even if I leave it running for hours. Nothing

It never pulls any blocks or data. the PC just sits there "accepting requests" that never come.

FWIW, some things I did to try and make sure it's not htre NAS or the dirves:

1) I pulled both HDs and ran the NAS just to make sure it would throw out the E-07 "Hard Drive Missing/Bad" file (which would indicate that the system itself is functional/can see drives attached, etc.) and it did. Put the HDs back in and it goes back to the E-06 code. 

2) Pulled the hard drives and checked them for errors - on both a Linux and a Windows machine - all fine.

3) Actually replace the drives with two drives that were alos checked for errors - on both Linux and Windows machines and found all fine.

I've done this about 20 times each way now (i.e. trying to let it do it itself, holding the FUNC/FUNCTION key down during power- up, and also pressing the FUNC/FUNCTION button once again, after power-up) all with the exact same non-result, every time.  I called Buffalo tech suppport and, unfortunately, they had less information than this forum does.  So, I'm finally ssues persist after a few attempts, I would suggest contacting your regional technical support or posting on this forum.

Any ideas on why this NAS is not connecting to the PC and not pulling any files when powered up?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 07:39:45 am »

Of course its not working, you have the wrong IP address set on your NIC.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.

Knife

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 07:43:14 am »

NIC is set to 192.168.11.1.

What should it be set to?

That "listening On: 192.168.11.23:69" line only comes up if the NAS is attached and on (apparently forced by the NAS, as other times it was 192.168.11.1:69?).

Otherwise, the TFTP Boot output has no line for listening on 192.168.11.xxx.

It just says:

"Preparing to write TFTP configuration settings.

Starting TFTP...
server port range: all
max blksize: 65464
defult blksize: 512
default interval: 3
overwrite existing files: No
thread pool size: 1

accepting requests.."

How do I get the NIC to stop listening On: 192.168.11.23:69, and back to listening On: 192.168.11.1:69?

What am I doing wrong?

Knife

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 08:21:59 am »

OK, went into Network settings again, made sure that the Loca Area Connection Properties have the IP Address set to 192.168.11.1. ith subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.  They are.

Went into the "Advanced" tab and saw that 192.168.11.23 was one of the IP addresses listed and deleted it.

Now, TFTP Boot says its  "listening On: 169.254.38.247:69"

Previously, TFTP Boot has actually said "listening On 192.168.11.1."

I recall seeing that, specifically, in previous attempts.

***Edit:

Did some testing and that "listening On: [192.168.11.23:69] or [169.254.38.247:69]" line is apprently forced by the NAS.

If the NAS is NOT attached to the Network Adapater when I start TFTP Boot.exe, the TFTP Boot output has NO line for listening on 192.168.11.xxx, at all, and it just says:

Starting TFTP...

server port range: all... etc., etc."

If however, the NAS IS attached to the Network Adapater when I start TFTP Boot.exe, the TFTP Boot output DOES have the line for listening (now) on 169.254.38.247:69 (or some other range). With the NAS connected, the TFTP Boot now output says:

Starting TFTP...

listening On: 169.254.38.247:69

So again, I ask:

How do I get the NIC to stop listening On the wrong IP Address ranges and back to listening On: 192.168.11.1?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

***Edit #2:

Tried to do a TFTP Boot, several times again, on a different machine, running WinXP.  Again, NIC IP Address is set to 192.168.11.1, other network adapters are disabled, as is firewall and Anti-Virus.

This time, the TFTP Boot output shows:

Starting TFTP...
alias / is mapped to C:\Docuemtns and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\TFTP Boot Recovery 1.33\

listening On: 192.168.11.1:69

And still, nothing.

The NAS first gives rapid blinking Function blue light, eventually the blue Power and Function lights go back and forth rapidly for 20 -30 seconds or so, and then it just eventually reverts to the same old Red light blinking six times.

It never pulls any files from the TFTP Boot or anything like that.

Again, as a reminder: I've pulled both drives and checked them on two different (Win 7 64 bit and Ubuntu Linux 32 bit) machines and they appear fine, and I've replaced them with two brand new drives, that were also checked on those two machines and also checked out fine.  The same result - every time.  I'm pretty sure that, despite the ever-recurring E06 Drive failure code this thing keeps kicking out, this is not a drive being bad.

It apparently sends SOME info accross the network, becuae the TFTP Boot output changes, depending on whether the NAS is attached and on or not.  It just never pulls anything from TFTP Boot.

Does anyone have any ideas?

AntonToo

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 01:30:19 pm »

Link for Your NAS model's TFTP boot image IE broken?

The webpage at ftp://24.153.165.234/mnt/array1/share/nas-recovery/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 02:38:54 pm »
The use the one for FF/Chrome! :-/
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.

digithead

• Calf
  • Just a dirty old biker and computer nerd...
    • Dave's Digital Devices
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 03:37:32 pm »

I take it by the lack of activity on this thread that this has never been resolved.(?)

I too am in pretty much the same boat with an LS-QV4.0TL/R5 that is only TWO WEEKS old. We had "upgraded" it's firmware to the 1.64 version. That went off without a hitch. But this morning I come in to find the thing sitting in "EM mode" and completely useless.

Tried to go through the firmware update proceedure again (as was suggested in another area here) and >BANG!<   ... now we get nothing but an amber flasshine LED on the front. Two long / 5 short and thing appears to be nothing more thant $600 PAPER WEIGHT.

Trying to call in to Buffalo Tech Support yeilded nothing but infinate HOLD...

We bought the stupid thing for storage of some rather critical PDF data and it now appears to be totally gone. NOT very happy at all this point.

Remember, where ever you go, there you are.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 03:57:39 pm »

an amber light is an information light, not an error light. it's showing the i25 (2 long, 5 short) - that means firmware is updating- please let it finish updating.

digithead

• Calf
    • Dave's Digital Devices
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 04:00:48 pm »

Any idea as to how long it may take? It's been chewing on it for about 7 hours.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 04:08:54 pm »

did you flash it from a wired connection or a wireless connection? I'm checking with the engineers on your question.

digithead

• Calf
    • Dave's Digital Devices
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 04:14:08 pm »

Negative. Although none of the "shared folders" were available over the network, NASNavigotor simply reported that it was in "EM mode". Another area of the forum, a user had experienced the same issue and the suggestion was made to try the firmware updater again.  Seemed perfectly reasonable to me at the time.

But it left me in this state... can't even ping the box now and it's been sitting there with the flashing amber LED for now over 7 hours. Two hours into I figured something was wrong (I have one of these devices at home and an update doesn't take anywhere near this long) so thought perhapr a Factory default reset... no go... then the TFTP boot... still no go.

I'm afraid it may be totally bricked at this point... *sigh*

digithead

• Calf
    • Dave's Digital Devices
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 04:17:28 pm »

(I'm probably just going to kill the power and schlep it home with me at this point. Otherwise I can't do anything further until Monday. Office is closed all weekend...)