Author Topic: FAQ (3 of 5): TFTP boot procedure  (Read 289026 times)

brian_nathaniel

• Big Bull
FAQ (3 of 5): TFTP boot procedure
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:23:11 pm »
"Due to its simple design, TFTP can be implemented in a very small amount of memory - an important consideration [in the past]. It was therefore useful for booting computers such as routers which did not have any data storage devices. It is still used to transfer small amounts of data between hosts on a network, such as IP phone firmware or operating system images when a remote X Window System terminal or any other thin client boots from a network host or server. The initial stages of some network based installation systems (such as Solaris Jumpstart, Red Hat Kickstart and Windows NT's Remote Installation Services) use TFTP to load a basic kernel that performs the actual installation."

Thank you, Wikipedia

TFTP in this case is used for replacing a failed boot image on the NAS.  When the NAS is first booted and gets an E04, E06, or stays at "system now booting" for a while, it sends a request to the IP address 192.168.11.1 to replace blocks of data for the missing boot image.  This is usually a last resort to getting a NAS to work when these errors are prevalent, and is not a guaranteed fix.

Performing a TFTP boot:

A TFTP boot requires a little bit of finesse and a tiny bit of luck.  9 times out of 10 when a NAS constantly says "System Now Booting", E04/E06 (or 4/6 DIAG light flashes depending on the NAS) or doesn't show up on the NAS Navigator after a long period of time after an EM boot attempt, then chances are that you need to perform this method.  So, without further delay let's get to it.

What you'll need: 

- The NAS Navigator client
-  Your NAS model's latest firmware
-  Your NAS model's TFTP boot image

***(NOTE: Some older and all newer NAS models may not have a TFTP solution available, if you cannot find your model in the listing please DO NOT attempt to use the TFTP program of another model.)***

Make sure your firewall/anti-virus software is disabled.

Performing the TFTP boot:
1.        Download the TFTP Boot Image for your model

2.        Directly connect your NAS to your computer via an Ethernet cable (crossover isn't necessary).

3.        Set your computer's NIC (Network Interface Card) to a static IP address of 192.168.11.1
NOTE: If you don't know how to change your IP address on your computer you can find out how to do that for Windows (XP, Vista or 7).

4.        Disable any other active network adapters (i.e. your computer's wireless card)

5.        Extract the TFTP Boot Image to your desktop

6.        If your unit has a Reset button, attempt to boot into EM mode using the directions found FAQ 1of5 EM Mode Boot Procedures
NOTE: if you have only a Function button, skip this step.

7.       Open the TFTP folder and run the program TFTP Boot.exe with the icon:

8.       A command prompt similar to the one shown below should appear

9.       When the NAS boots up it will make a request to the IP address 192.168.11.1 (which is what your computer should be set at).  If you do not see "listening On:  192.168.11.1:69" in the terminal, then you will need to restart the program (possibly your computer, too).

10.       If you have a unit with only a Function button (i.e. X and V series units), press and hold that button for 5 seconds; otherwise, skip this step.

11.       Your terminal should now show two lines ending in "Blocks Served" - if they do not, then you will need to reboot your computer and your NAS and repeat the TFTP boot process.

After you see blocks of data being served the NAS typically boots to Emergency Mode at which point you can perform a force firmware update following FAQ 2 of 5

You may have to wait up to 10 minutes before the unit is found by the NAS Navigator.  If your unit reboots and has the same error code, you can retry the TFTP boot procedure.If your errors or issues persist after a few attempts, I would suggest contacting your regional technical support or posting on this forum.

-OP : Dustrega
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:14:21 pm by DatNAS »

dennisooikl

• Calf
Re: FAQ (3 of 5): TFTP boot procedure
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 06:10:38 pm »

the FTP doesn't seem to be valid, 24.153.165.234 doesn't respond to ping.

I really need the TFTP image, anywhere else I could get them?

Thanks

justinsan

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 04:52:55 am »

the FTP doesn't seem to be valid, 24.153.165.234 doesn't respond to ping. I really need the TFTP image, anywhere else I could get them? Thanks

BUMP! I need it also asap. There doesn't seem to be any valid mirrors around.

ghettosamson

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 12:57:27 pm »

What solutions do mac users have?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 05:07:44 pm »
To use a windows machine!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.

Florian71

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:10:07 am »

LS-CHL Version 2

Everything works fine, my LS got the Image via tftp (I see the blocks transferred, and the red blinking E06 turns to a fast blinking blue).

After this, I cant access the LS via network anymore:

- The 192.168.11.150 seems no longer valid (cant access/ping from direct connected PC with 192.168.11.1), but also

- the LS does not ask for a new IP Address from DHCP server.

As a Result: neither NASNavigator2 nor LSUpdater can find the LS.

(A reboot of the LS falls back to E06).

Is there a way to force the LS to request for a new IP from the DHCP server?

tellisnz

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 04:34:44 pm »

Florian,

The fast blinking blue needs to turn to a solid blue. Then your NAS Navigator or LSUpdater should be able to find it.

Also, check that your subnet on your network connection is set to 255.255.0.0 - I think in EM the NAS jumps into some weird IPs.

I can't get passed trying to update though, I always get an ACP_STATE_FAILURE when attempting update.

ncmorgan

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 04:03:15 am »

hi what are all the setting you put in ip address , i put in 192.168.11.1 but you have sub mask and default gateway plus dns server i just get errors

thanks

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 04:46:26 am »

ncmorgan wrote:

hi what are all the setting you put in ip address , i put in 192.168.11.1 but you have sub mask and default gateway plus dns server i just get errors

thanks

IP: 192.168.11.1

Subnet Make: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway and DNS can be left blank.

denka

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 11:14:54 am »

For me, blinking blue never turns solid - tried TFTP at least a half dozen times, and let my LS-CH1.0Lsit like that overnight. What else shoudl I try? In fact, I saved an image of sda1 - should it help if I were to restore it? Should I format the entire disk in any particular way before attempting recovery? Any help is quite welcome.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 12:06:14 pm »

denka wrote:

For me, blinking blue never turns solid - tried TFTP at least a half dozen times, and let my LS-CH1.0Lsit like that overnight. What else shoudl I try? In fact, I saved an image of sda1 - should it help if I were to restore it? Should I format the entire disk in any particular way before attempting recovery? Any help is quite welcome.

Your either doing one or all of the following:

1. Using the wrong TFTP image

2. You dont have the correct IP address settings on your NIC.

3. You have some security software on the PC blocking the TFTP.

denka

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 02:20:42 am »

I wish there was a different image:) Accordint to README, I should use TFTP Boot Recovery LS-CHL 1.06.exe, and that is exactly what I use.

Trying out alternatives now - restored sda1, image of which I created once I pulled disk with errors out of the box and plugged into Linux; that got me further. Now I can use LSUpdate and firmware upload succeeds. Trouble now, the status code blinks I25  in orange forever - as thouh it is updating firmware, but nothing happens for about an hour now. I'll let it sit overnight, then will try to repeat.

If I'm setting on the path of recreating partitions - how should the partition table be laid out?

Ace

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 03:50:06 am »

Hi Davo,
I too cannot get past the blinking blue never turning solid. Also using a LSL (LS-CH1). The TFTP works and sends the blocks (using the same update as "denka" - LS CHL 1.06.exe

No AV or anything blocking the connection (I'm using SAFE Mode), and the IP settings are set to 192.168.11.1 (Subnet 255.255.255.0; also tried 255.255.0.0) - What else could be wrong?

Edit: I should probably also mention that when booting to use the TFTP, the light always switches to the 6 flashing red lights (E06) and will not continue with the TFTP until I press the function button, this turns the flashing red to flashing blue.

kja002

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 10:02:02 am »

Hello,

I have a LS-QV4.0TL/R5-EU, where two disks crashed.

Have followed the instructions and used TFTP Boot Recovery LS-QTL 1.04, everything works and the two "Blocks Served" lines appear, but after this the unit just continue to flash blue, it newer reboots. Only way to shut it down is to pull out the power cord. After turning the power on again it continues to flash red six times, I press the function key and it servs the blocks again.

I connect it to reuter to get IP, but it doesn't stop flashing blue. If i reboot, the same thing happens, blink 6 times red.

CasaDelGato

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 06:34:12 pm »

When I connect my LS-L500GL to my Win7 computer's ethernet port, the computer just says that the media is disconnected.  So I doesn't get any communications from the LinkStation.