Author Topic: Back up LS Live to password-protected USB drive  (Read 1124 times)

Matt_LS_LIVE

• Calf
Back up LS Live to password-protected USB drive
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:35:31 AM »

Hi,

I have a 500 Gb Linkstation Live that I've had for some years and use as a backup for my family's computers.  It saved my bacon recently ago when my house was burgled and my laptop was stolen.

I'd like to back up the LS Live to a USB hard drive, which I will keep at my office, just to be extra careful.  However, since I'll be commuting back and forth with the drive in my bag I would like to encrypt the contents.  There are plenty of drives available that have hardware encryption, or I could just use something like TrueCrypt.

Ideally I'd like to back up the LS Live directly using its USB port, rather than via my PC.  I'm aware I can do this quite easily if I'm not bothered about encrypting the data on the USB drive.  However, is there anyway to encrypt the backup data automatically?

One option would be to connect the USB drive to my computer, and copy the contents of the Linkstation drive to it that way, but I have a lot of data and that would take a long time.  I'd much rather just hook the USB drive up to the Linkstation and let it do its thing.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Matt