Author Topic: Time Machine Issue  (Read 2436 times)

neo3489

• Calf
Time Machine Issue
« on: March 27, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »

Hey everyone, I hope you can help me cuz Buffalo Support couldn't.

I have my Linkstation Duo LS-WXL configured to back up my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.7.3) vía TimeMachine. I got it to work a while ago but it would never run smoothly so I have tried some resets of the LS through Webinterface as well as through the function button. I also formatted it ones to start from scratch but I always get the same problem.

Most of the times, TM tells me that the backup failed. It shows me an error (-1). However, the image of the TM folder appears on my desktop in white (like usual images) instead of blue how it's supposed to appear.
If I go to the finder, I can see my shares as long as I don't try to tab on them to view the content - then it'll just be ejected automatically for some reason.

I then normally try to restart the computer, the router and/or the LS and it sometimes works. Also I noticed to get a high chance for it to work when I choose to check on the Disks plus mark the "deleting unused OS X..." things but it really takes out the power of an automatic backup system if you have to do those things in the first place everytime to get it to work.

Any thoughts on that one?

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Time Machine Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 08:20:14 AM »

What firmware version is LinkStation running? Have you tried this with any other Macs? Are you sure that you are selecting the LinkStation as the backup target?

neo3489

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:35:37 AM »

Firmware is 1.56. I just have one Mac to try it it with and yes, I'm sure about having it selected.

Do you think it might be a problem with router preferences? I couldn't really figure out what exactly I have to do to make it work so I just started writing it down and as for today it worked by restarting the router.

I also set a static IP for the Linkstation in the Webinterface, do I have to do this in the router as well?

Also I noticed that after they (my provider) put in a new firmware for the router my Webaccess stopped working telling me that I should set portforwarding manually. However, this I think has little to do with my Time Machine problem as it had happend before the firmare update of the router.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:56:28 AM »

UPNP may have been disabled in the firmware update for the router. TimeMachine should be very straight forward. All you need to do is enable the service on the unit and choose the folder. You also need to make sure that Apple is enabled on the folder and AFP is enabled in the network tab under network services.

It seems like it could be an issue with Time Machine. You could try wiring the unit directly in to your Pc via ethernet with a static ip on both the ethernet port on your Mac and on your LinkStation and try it this way.

neo3489

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 09:18:26 AM »

UPNP is still enabled. TimeMachine as well, so is folder selected with Apple checked and AFP protocoll too.
Once I get it to work it does the backup constantly as long as I don't leave the network or disconnect the drive (which it does due to the timer beeing set so it won't be running while I'm not at home.

So mainly the problem is that it doesn't automatically reconnect to the TimeMachine volume although it does to the other volumes.

Also, since they have changed the firmware I can't login anymore as root because my provider has changed the root password so normal clients (not business I think) won't be able to change crucial settings.

neo3489

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »

I now changed the static IP again to another adress and at the moment it's working... let's see if it still does when I get home on saturday. My guess is that when the lease expires there is is conflict when reconnecting. I'll post further information when I get any.

However, I know this has nothing to do with the TM problem but since my WebAccess is not working I wonder which TCP-port to take to activate it manually. Does it have to be 9000 or can I just take whatever? 

neo3489

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:40:49 AM »

So the problem is still there. I'll describe it in detail:

1. LS turned on and running
  2. MacBook turned on and connected to the home network
  3. Volumes and Time Machine Volume appear connected in the Finder - also accessible
  4. MagSave Power-Adapter plugged into Macbook
  5. Time Machine starts searching for Volume
  6. Time Machine Volume appears on the desktop and opens Finder-Window showing a folder called "Backups.backupdb" which appears to be empty when asking for further information (cmd+i)
  7. On the Dashboard, iStat is showing me "Backup" folder (not volume) in the disk section with a little red dot in the corner
  8. iStat Volumes
  9. Preferences-Window pops up, telling me that the image of Backup Volumes /Volumes/Backup/...sparesbundle could not be accessed (error -1)
  10. TM Error

Any further thoughts please? This really is a pain!

neo3489

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »
*push* I still need some help here please!

hatarez

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 07:59:53 AM »
I got the same problem. From my iMac wired it's all right but from my MacBook Pro (wifi) the disk seems to be disconnected for some reason.

neo3489

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 01:22:06 AM »
Good to see I'm not the only one! Buffalo Support claims it's a Mac problem. Have you tried doing the TM Backup from a new user account on your machine? Worth a try, although didn't work for me. Anyhow, I had to take my link station out of my local network to do a firmware upgrade as it wasn't responding to 1.58 and it seems to work now somehow. I have to restart the router before doing a new time machine backup and connect to drive in the finder (just the general share, not any specific folder). As long as I stay connected it does the job automatically. However, it still gives me this wired icon in istat showing me a restricted folder.

hatarez

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 02:10:32 AM »

I tried and didnt work.

Have to try doing a backup process with my MacBook Pro wired connected to the router.