Author Topic: Linkstation: Network routing can't be found  (Read 5449 times)

renee

• Calf
Linkstation: Network routing can't be found
« on: January 24, 2009, 04:12:19 AM »

I have a Link Station LG-L320GL which has mysteriously disappeared from my network - I get the message:

"Network routing cannot be found. Confirm network cabling and connection".

I have a network of 3 computers: 2 pcs (1x vista home premium & 1x XP) a Mac connected via a Gigabit switch.

Neither PC can access the Linkstation but the Mac has no problems. This is the error message I get:

I have tried:

• Reinstalling the Buffalo NAS Navigator software
  • Upgrading to 2.01 firmware
  • Disconnecting and reconnecting everything!
  • Resetting the Linkstation

I have now had the Linkstation for a total of 8 months but have only been able to access the machine for less than 2 months due to lengthy repair times, etc.

I'm really hoping that the Buffalo tech team read this and can help as I have data on this drive that I urgently need to access.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Renee

Message Edited by renee on 01-24-2009 04:13 AM

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation: Network routing can't be found
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »

renee,

You said that the Mac was having no problem connecting.  Do you have any firewalls or anti-virus running on the PCs?  If so that could be part of your problem.  Also, try going to the command prompt and pinging the unit using the steps as follows:

Note: Since your Mac can connect to the device I would suggest recording the IP address of the NAS before performing these steps.

1. Click on Start>Run (for XP) Start (on Vista)

2. Type in "cmd" (minus the quotes) in the Run line (or where it says "Start Search" just above the Start button in Vista) and press Enter

3. A black window should come up.  Type in "ping [IP address you acquired from the connected computer]" minus the quotes and brackets.

4. Press Enter and you should see a series of packets sent out to the NAS.  If they do not return a response (i.e. a message stating "Request timed out." ) then I would suggest checking your firewalls.

5. If you get a successful ping then the device should be accessible and I would refer here for further instructions.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Message Edited by Dustrega on 01-26-2009 05:20 PM

renee

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:06:30 PM »

Hi Dustrega, thanks for you help. I followed your instructions ...

1. Pinged the ip address 192.168.1.3 - and it found the Linkstation no problem - see below

So, with a successful ping I then...

Did the start/run and \\192.168.1.3 and got the following:

So, I turned off the standard firewall and antivirus running and tried again but got the same result!!

So frustrating!

Thanks for your help - any more ideas?

Renee

Techstep

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 09:49:07 PM »
   You get a solution for this? I am having the EXACT same problem. Macs are fine. PC is kaput.

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:15:45 AM »
Boot the comp into safe mode w/networking and try again.

Leo_H

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 05:49:19 PM »

I had the same problem, had to kill Zonealarm to get the share going... then add the IP address to the trusted zone.