Author Topic: Cannot reformat Link Station Live to FAT32  (Read 6176 times)

007apb

• Calf
Cannot reformat Link Station Live to FAT32
« on: January 23, 2009, 05:03:28 AM »

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Link Station Live (LS-CH1.0TL).

I would like to primarily use this with my Mac (Intel OS X 10.5.6)

I have upgraded the firmware on the Link Station to the latest release.

I can see the shared folders from my Mac and move files into those folders - however I cannot see the files in those destinations. I have checked from a PC and the files are there in the shared folders, just not visible from the Mac.

The Link Station is formatted to the default (XFS) - I thought this might be the problem and I should reformat to FAT32 - however from the web utility I am not able to reformat to FAT32. It shows XFS but is greyed out not allowing me to pick another format? This is the same from a PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation!

SimoPP

• Calf
Re: Cannot reformat Link Station Live to FAT32
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 05:31:22 AM »

Just for your information, I have three Linkstations (LS Live, LS Pro Duo, LS Live w/BT ie. LS-CH1.0TL), all are formatted to XFS and are visible to Macs, too, so it might be that the format is not the issue. My older Macbook(s) show the "network" at the finder, requests to open the correct workgroup and ask me to open the share with the files (Buffalo always shows "info" and "share" of which I select "share". When I end my session and close the computer, it asks the same thing again and I just don´t know how to avoid that. Anyway, a newer Macbook Air is more clever and shows all shares directly at the finder on the left just like at the iTunes. Unfortunately I don´t have the OS version details here.

007apb

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:49:10 AM »

Hi, thanks for that - so formatting might not be the issue.

I thought it had to be FAT32 for the Mac to read.

Any ideas, anyone. Thanks.

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 09:40:47 AM »
   Right, it's got nothing to do with the file system. It seems the latest system update from Apple somehow caused this issue.

007apb

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 10:15:48 AM »

Hi, thanks.

Is there any fix?

As it stands the Link Station is pretty useless as I use the Mac for everything :(

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:28:47 PM »
Connect to the Linkstation from Finder using Go->Connect to Server, for the server address use "smb://192.168.11.150/" (replace 192.168.11.150 with the ip address of your Linkstation). Select the share, login as Registered User "guest" with no password.